Having recently done an exercise on unpacking our household expenses, it became very obvious that most of our money is spent on food (and wine!). Now we can’t not eat, but I can make sure that I spend my money wisely. The buyersbasket.club business was born from my personal need to save money but not compromise on quality, (I’m fussy) and taste (the kids are even fussier!). By sourcing good quality ingredients and buying them in bulk, I am able to save money. I split the bulk and pass the savings on to you. Now when I reach for the feta off the woolies shelf, my hand hovers in the air and I remember I can save R20 if I order from buyersbasket.club. I retract my hand and move on, go home and place my own order on my own website!
Buying your cheese, fish, cold meats, nuts and berries from buyersbasket.club will save you money! It’s about changing your shopping behaviour, becoming a bit more organised and planning your meals.
I started planning my weekly meals after being bed bound for 6 weeks after major back surgery. I needed to make sure that our nanny knew exactly what to cook for supper and pack into the lunch boxes and that we had the ingredients in the house. I have continued with the weekly meal plans as it has not only made me feel super organised, but I have saved money and time. It has saved me the anxiety of staring into the fridge wondering what I can concoct from the meagre and mixed ingredients inside, in less than 20 minutes, or rushing to the shops and grabbing random things off the shelf!
So, 5 ways to save money and slash your grocery bill, starts with being organised!
- Be organised, plan your meals to a budget. Decide how much money you will spend per week for food. Now plan meals accordingly: breakfast, lunch, lunch boxes and dinner. Give yourself a while. Setting a belt-tightening, but realistic budget will take a while to fine-tune. If you haven’t been budgeting until now, you should be able to cut down costs by 20 – 25%!
- Reduce the temptation of impulse buying. According to various sources/studies on the web, people who avoid impulse spending, save nearly 25% on their grocery bills! Shop with a list, better still, shop online (buyersbasket.club!), shop less, shop alone and never shop when you are hungry!
- Don’t buy what you don’t have to. Know what’s in your freezer and panty. Buy house brands or cheaper brands. Buy in bulk and freeze. (buyersbasket.club sells all produce in 1kg packaging. Most products can be frozen.). Don’t buy pre-packaged foods, make your food from scratch. Not only is it healthier, but you don’t pay the premium that comes with the fancy packaging.
- Look out for the best price on products you need. Check the newspaper inserts for specials. These could be a clue to what meals you have that week. Buy in bulk and freeze. Find the best prices you can on the 10 most common purchases in your basket. At buyersbasket.club, we sell in bulk and we guarantee our prices are better than the major retailers!
- Stretch out your food. Prepare several meals in one go, when you have time, and freeze. Keep leftovers for lunch, reduce waste by using smaller plates or use over ripe fruit in smoothies and wilting vegetables in soup or stews.
Some of these ideas came from “the daddude.com” blog post. Take a look if you want more!
I hope some of these ideas will ring true for you and help you save money and time! Buyersbasket.club can help you save time and money, without compromising on quality and taste.